Would President Obama veto this bill?
The bill would have to get through the House, and a bill is expected to be filed there as well. President Obama and U.S. Secretary of Education are supporting annual testing. Alexander is determined to return control of education policy to states.
This bill has several components. The testing proposal provides two options:
There can be multiple measures of student achievement including measures of student academic growth. Testing results must provide diagnostic reports disaggregated by socio economic, racial, and disability groups.
OPTION 1 includes: math, reading or language arts, and science
- Yearly tests grades 3-8 and once in 9-12
- Or grade spans 3-5; 6-9; 10-12 or a combination of the two
OPTION 2 includes: math, reading or language arts annually and science testing via grade span approach
There are provisions for different types of tests:
- Performance based assessments for competency-based education
- Formative assessments for teaching and learning
- Multiple assessments that can provide a summative score of individual academic growth