The Florida LWV legislative priorities are coming due. Please make your voices heard within your local leagues. In order to be able to advocate for our Education Team issues, we have to make it into the top priorities statewide.
Make education tops for your local league. Here is a list of topics we expect to come up in the legislative session. Remember that committee meetings start in September.
The next session is likely to deal with several key issues that did not get passed in the last session:
- Charter school systems: proposals have already been drafted to convert part or all of districts to charters
- FSU Innovation Center: a beginning step toward a separate state system for charter schools
- Testing and accountability: school grades and teacher evaluations
- Facilities funding for charter schools
- Expansion of private school tax credit scholarship eligibility
- Preschool standards upgrades
It is possible that some of the charter management proposals may also reappear.