Valerie Strauss tells it like it is. She lists the educational mess caused by Florida’s reform policies culminating in the passage of HB 7069:
- loss of district facility funds to charter schools
- ‘Schools of Hope’ that are required to fire teachers and administrators
- State seizure of local school board authority
- High charter closure rates and incidences of scandal
- Private school tuition from tax credits for corporations with no consequences for lack of student achievement
The article by Valerie Strauss goes on to cover testing and accountability policies, teacher bonus programs, and perhaps even more strange, the request to the federal government to stop reporting achievement gaps.
Here’s the link to the article in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/07/22/floridas-education-system-the-one-betsy-devos-cites-as-a-model-is-in-chaos/?utm_term=.0cb978c6651f