On December 9th, 2014, new Superintendent Dr. Owen Roberts presented his 100 Day Status Report to Alachua County citizens.
He outlined five transformation strategies to bring our schools to an unparalleled level of excellence. His vision is bold:
- Early childhood education: focus on high quality instruction
- Language development: based on research on brain development
- STEAM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics plus the arts) project based learning beginning with robotics and offering chorus in schools
- A Parent Academy to help struggling families support their children’s learning
- A K-12 Global Education Magnet in which children will learn at least one of three languages and development and understanding of their cultures and a sense of social responsibilities.
The implementation of these strategies is expected over the next five years. It will involve a complete community involvement. Review committees have already begun their work. We can expect the formal plan this spring.